Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Counting Calories



Yes, this is my waist.
HA! Not exactly! I'm sure I didn't fool anyone. I AM 22 weeks pregnant, after all.
Today I had a checkup with my OB-GYN, and it wasn't good, apparently. Don't get me wrong--Baby Girl #2 is doing fine; I'm measuring just right and feeling great.
But I got a pretty good scolding from Dr. Kreske about my weight. I've lost another 1.5 pounds, even after Dr. Marley's words of caution last month. I am completely baffled at this; I have gladly eaten anything I want since last month's appointment. I've indulged every craving, when possible (Let's face it--no sane person would subject his budget to Pizza Hut's stuffed crust pizza every other night!). I haven't felt a single hunger pang in the last 4 weeks, so I expected to see a gain of 5 pounds or more. Wow. What a problem.
Dr. Kreske instructed me to eat ice cream, milkshakes, and frosties (think Wendy's) on a fairly regular basis... as well as just eating more food in general. My goodness. This goes against every nutritional guideline I've ever been taught. Not that I'm a pro at holding to those guidelines, but seriously!
Any of you mommies out there have the same "trouble" (Shy!) and get the same scolding from your doctors?

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Wow, Karen! I don't know if I've ever known of anyone losing weight this far into a pregnancy. I do know that I could only HOPE my doc tells me to eat ice cream and milkshakes when I am pregnant. :o) All joking aside, I'm thinking about you and hope that you and your baby girl #2 remain healthy.

S said...

i wish i had that problem! i instead gained the 1 1/2 pounds you lost at today's appt that you lost. i've been so careful with my diabetic diet too! it's so funny how all our bodies react differently to pregnancy! enjoy the indulgences! (especially with Valentine's day coming up and all this good food out there!)

Sara said...

I secretly WISH I would have had this problem! But nope, gained consistently. Still working at getting rid of it too!
However, I am a tad surprised at your doctor's orders. I would think such things as additional nuts, protein, whole milk (even chocolate milk) would be healthier suggestions to gain, but what do I know?!?!:)

Kelly Glupker said...

I don't understand why doctors get so worried about weight gain. My doctor could care less how much I gained - as long as I measured okay and the baby was fine. Besides, it can't be healthy to pig out on ice cream and other junk food. Unless someone is anorexic or unhealthily skinny, I think the doctors should let it go. I say eat healthy, be healthy, and don't worry about how much you weigh.
I of course, never had a problem gaining weight! I gained 60 pounds, but praise the Lord lost it quickly.

Heather said...

I gained less than 10 pounds with Logan. My doctor never said much about it. I always measured fine and Logan was born a healthy 8 pounds.

Logan and Victoria were only 14 months apart and with Victoria I gained almost 30 pounds...I never had the opportunity to lose it though. I found out I was pregnant with Logan when Victoria was only 5 months old.

If you want to splurge on an ice cream or a shake go ahead...you know what is best for your body.