Sunday, February 10, 2008

Grouchy Girl

Yesterday was a busy, busy day. I had a meeting in the morning, during which I dropped Olivia off at Ryan & Celeste's. We had a family birthday party at 1, and by the time the festive party was winding down--around 3--Livvie was totally spent... she hadn't slept a wink! THEN, we had to run back up to Ann Arbor for Nate's basketball game. Olivia slept on the 20-minute drive, but it wasn't nearly enough. We arrived just as the 2nd half started, and Olivia was absolutely unbearable.

I knew full well that it was my own fault that she didn't nap, but I truly have never seen her like this. If anyone looked at her, she squirmed angrily and made nasty noises in return. By the time the game was over, she was just standing there, crying. She cried in my lap; she cried sitting next to me; she cried standing on the gym floor. When we got home, she refused to eat and just got mad that I would even try to feed her. If Nate said anything or even looked at her, she threw a tantrum. It wasn't long before we plopped her firmly into bed for a catnap--no sense enduring that kind of attitude all evening!

I woke her at 6:15, hoping for a more peaceful evening, but it wasn't to be. We tried to work with her for about an hour, and then Nate had had enough. She was fast asleep by 7:30. Now, I realize that for many young toddlers, 7:30 is a realistic bedtime. But Olivia is accustomed to a 9:00 or even 9:30 bedtime! Yikes. We knew that this move would probably mean an interrupted night or a very early morning. I wasn't surprised when Olivia woke, rested and happy, at 4:17 a.m.!

I certainly have never been a morning person (at least not happily so!), but inevitably, once I'm awake, I don't mind it too much. I'm on laundry load #2, and I've done the dishes, given Livvie a bath & clipped her nails, done some internet work, and even made coffee! Now (8:40 a.m.), Livvie is taking a nap. Unfortunately, I don't think I could do the same.

I'll definitely be ready by the time lunch is cleaned up, though!







No comments: