Saturday, May 10, 2014

What I'll Do On Mother's Day

Each Mother's Day looks pretty much the same:  gathering with other Christians to worship, going to lunch,  opening homemade cards and sweet gifts... and the splendid absence of cooking or dishes.

Last year I was a mess of tears and disappointment.  My expectations of enjoying the children's adoration and sweet submission were simply not fulfilled.  That was a rough wake-up call, but a necessary one, and not just for mother's day.  I learned that in order to be a truly servant-spirited mother, there IS no such thing as having the day off.  Or having a day that's All About Me.  Motherhood is never about me.  It can't be about me.  I learned that my lofty expectations for praise and honor had dug themselves a deep little root of idolatry, and when harvest time came and I was met with disappointment, I saw the situation as God did. He's merciful to let us see our sin clearly.

This year I'm trying to embrace a different perspective.  With God's help,

  • I am taking more time to reflect on God's good & perfect gift of my own mother.  She's amazing and she doesn't even know it.
  • I put more thought, care, and love into gift-giving.
  • I will gladly take opportunities to serve my children, and not expect the reverse.
  • I will tell them how much I love them and praise God for them, and not expect the reverse.  I would not BE a mother if not for them.
  • I will keep fighting against the lie that society keeps trying to feed me:  that a truly beautiful woman will look as though she never had children.  I will not neglect good health practices, but I will not resent the way that God's gift of children has changed my body.  
  • I will express my thankfulness to my husband for his support and love.  Again...wouldn't BE a mother if not for him!
  • I will pray extra for my girls, and for my own growth in godliness.
  • I have expressed my admiration and love for my husband's mother, who defies all mother-in-law stereotypes with her grace and wisdom.
  • I will take the time to communicate my thanks and love to my beautiful birth mother, one of the most selfless people I've ever known.
     
  • I will relish this gift of motherhood, and this particular season of motherhod, remembering how quickly the time passes.  I'll be thankful, because God is so good.  So good.

2 comments:

Jennyz said...

Love that your blogging again. You are my favorite blog! This is a perfect reminder. I turned 41 this year and have 5 kids. The reminder about society and my body is spot on. I really needed that. Thanks. Have a wonderful Mothers Day!

Karen said...

Thanks, Jennyz! That's a high compliment, with all the scads of blogs out there! I've missed blogging and am glad to have started up again. So happy to know that you were blessed!