Thursday, May 15, 2014

Habits are Catchy!

We all know that children are like little sponges, soaking up everything they hear and observe.  What's really unsettling, though, is the the way that these children mimic and imitate those things we say and do.  When they were very little, 2 & 3 years old, I could always get a pretty good idea of exactly how I was disciplining, by watching them "discipline" their dolls.  What an eye opener that can be!

While there are plenty of bad habits that I hope and pray my children will not pick up from me, I do need to remember that they will tend to pick up my good habits as well.  That's a better focus than the negative.  Small children learn quickly and happily--for the most part.  Pleasing Mom is high motivation for them!  They bless me by developing good habits and character so young.


  • They dutifully take their vitamins each morning.   Sometimes THEY remind ME!
  • They are (generally) diligent to complete all of their chores.
  • They are learning the joy and discipline of spending time learning God's Truth each day.
  • They have recently begun to feel burdened for the needs of others, and often their first instinct is to pray.
  • Their taste for healthy foods is rapidly growing, and I'm happy to spend a large portion of our grocery budget on produce!


No comments: