Friday, November 12, 2010

In the Kitchen

I've been spending some extra time in my kitchen of late, making a few extras.  We've been trying to squeeze every last cent out of our lean budget, and since necessity is the mother of invention--er, discovery, I've made several things from scratch.  Or at least, closer to scratch than usual.

Double batch of cream of chicken soup and placed in freezer (total of 4 "cans"). 

Dry onion soup mix, x2 (total of 4 "packets")

A dozen or so cheesy bean & rice burritos for the freezer--a great, inexpensive, healthy convenience food!  Started with 2 bags frozen refried beans and some leftover cilantro-lime rice.  I rolled out a half-batch of tortillas and divvied up the beans & rice, and tossed in some shredded cheese.  Wrapped each burrito in foil and slipped into Ziploc bags.  Voila!  And topped with home-canned salsa, they're infinitely tastier than storebought!

Chocolate Mug Cake ingredients, along with a pretty mug, for the birthday of a chocolate-loving friend who has no oven.  WOW, this was a dangerous discovery indeed.

Powdered Laundry Detergent.  Smells so good.  I just need someone who's willing to run it through a food processor for me!

Baby Wipe Solution.  I didn't do the reusable baby wipes during the summer; the heat & humidity were not condusive to wet cloths sitting around (yuck!).  Now that it's cool, we're back at it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am totally with you on the cake in a mug thing. Yikes! Though it's better than having a whole cake around for me to eat off of throughout the week. I'm doing that as a Christmas gift for a niece of mine.

Thanks for sharing your recipes -- the cream of chicken sounds great. I never use cream of chicken type recipes because I never have it on hand and haven't ever made it from scratch successfully.

Jenny said...

I have used that cream of chicken recipe for several years - and it's easy to modify to make it gluten free, so YAY. Your burritos sound delicious too. YUM.