Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Intervention

The salsa, it is life-changing.
I just can't stop eating it. 

I think I've got the aroma of garlic and hot peppers coming out my pores, but I don't care.  What better perfume is there, anyway?

I've done a total of 12 jars, so that we'll have enough to last through--you know, the winter? 

Well.
I doubt we'll have a single jar left by the time my birthday rolls around  (late October).  As promised, here is the recipe. 

Make it if you dare.

I-Need-An-Intervention Salsa
Yield:  8 pints

Ingredients:
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
6 pounds (about 12) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 small jalapeno peppers, mostly seeded & finely chopped (Use gloves, friends!  Trust me and my tear ducts on this one!)
3 green peppers, chopped
2 (6-oz.) cans tomato paste
½ c. white vinegar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1½ T. salt
1 T. cayenne pepper
1½ t. cumin
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ c. white sugar
2 c. cilantro, chopped (about 1 bunch, store-bought)

8 pint canning jars with lids & rings

Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Simmer until thick, roughly 2-3 hours.

2. Pack salsa into hot, sterilized jars, filling to within ¼ inch of the top. Remove air bubbles; wipe the rims of the jars; top with warmed lids and rings.

3. Bring to a full boil, cover, and process for 10-15 minutes, being sure to leave at least 1 inch of water above jars.

4. Remove jars and place on a cloth-covered surface, several inches apart, until cool. Refrigerate after opening.

 
Or, if you're like me:
eat and eat until the jar is empty.  No refrigeration needed.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

MMM, thanks Karen! I will be trying your recipe soon! :-) Although, I think I'll process in quart jars. Michael tends to think a pint = a serving. :-)

Karen said...

I should've done the same, Jenny! We can't get enough!