Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Needy

My apologies for the blogging shortage around here lately; it's been unusually busy in our house. It's not our calendar schedule, but our day-to-day schedule that's had me in fits!

We're having a really trying season with Olivia. We're working with her on backtalk, immediate obedience, and selfishness. It's been incredibly exhausting, but (I think) this particular phase of intense testing is nearing an end.
Brienna is either going through a growth spurt or changing in her sleep needs. Or maybe both. It's a huge stress for me, this breastfeeding challenge. I'm 100% NOT ready to wean or even start solids, so I've been gathering all the information I can and really concentrating on upping my milk supply. I've also been playing around with her daily routine. She can't make it to bedtime on just 2 naps, but 3 naps proves too much sleep! And then there's the nighttime waking & feeding...

Satan loves to attack when we're tired--at least for me! I'm most vulnerable when I'm sleep-deprived and stressed. Would you pray with me? Here are some specific ways I've been praying:

  1. That I'll find little pockets of time for rest and/or sleep during the day. If this one can be accomplished, then all of the other things are far more manageable! It seems to be the lynch pin for me--to resist Satan's mind games, to enable my body to produce more milk, and to help with patience for child training. And I certainly don't want to compromise my immune system with all this sleep-deprivation! Getting sick on top of it all... a recipe for disaster!
  2. That I'll allow the nonessentials to slide during this short-lived, albeit difficult, season of life. I never thought it'd be such a discipline to spend less time doing household chores! It's important to focus on the things which are most important: my relationship with God, and my relationships with my precious family.
  3. That God would give me wisdom regarding Brienna's feeding and sleeping habits. And that he would "give the increase" where breastfeeding is concerned! *grin*
  4. That I would fix my mind upon the truths of God's Word. Satan's attacks are constant, and they are fierce! He aims to get my focus off of God and onto myself. It takes work to maintain joy on a daily basis, but it takes much more work to restore joy that's been lost. I've been renewing my mind with these thoughts, and I know God is slowly helping to re-train my thought processes.

All that said, I hope you understand why I may be pretty scarce around here for a bit. Thanks for your understanding and your prayers!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I know how rough this time is. We are going through the same thing with Aidan right now. It can be so stressful and tiring at times. I will be praying for you and for Olivia.

I am not going through the "milk need" but I have been there. I went through it with both of my boys. I am reading a book right now called "The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk by Diana West, IBCLC and Lisa Marasco, M.A.,IBCLC" I don't know if it would help you since you probably don't have much time to read right now but I thought I would mention it. Even having a chance to sit for a few minutes and "chill" is rare for me right now so I am sure it is even worse for you.

I will be praying for all of you and I hope you have a GREAT day today.

Melissa said...

If you want to borrow the book I can bring it next time I come to MI. I don't need it right now and it is going to be at least a year before I do need it. Just let me know either way.

Stacey said...

Hang in there....praying for ya.

I found the oldest of the family tends to find a way to get some attention....it's easier then you think.....an hour of undivided Mama time for Livvie might fix the problem. She may find that disobeying brings her a little more attention. I only say this cause Aleia is going through the same thing. So when Brie is napping, I'm sure to sit with Aleia for a little while. When she is disobeying or being selfish, I make sure that she knows her behavior is going to cut into Mama and Allie time and it's working...she straightens up right away.

Some might disagree, but it's working so far for us.

Be renewed in your mind.

the johnson crew said...

i will pray for your karen. i struggle the most too when i am sleep deprived (and so do my children.) you have a lot on your plate... God will give you strength and joy in these mundane days.

Melissa said...

I don't know Stacey but I just thought I would say that I agree. I have found the same thing to work with Aidan. If I spend even half an hour with him by himself during the day, he is MUCH better behaved and nicer to Connor. I really notice it on the days I don't have much time to do one on one time. They are much rougher days.

How is Olivia doing now? How are you?