Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Disciplines for Joy

I can't remember where I found this material--if you've seen it & can direct me, please do. I printed these reminders out & posted them on my fridge... right where I can see them while doing dishes (my most hated household task).

  • Never allow yourself to complain about anything--not even the weather.
  • Never picture yourself in any other circumstance or someplace else.
  • Never compare your lot with another's.
  • Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
  • Never dwell on tomorrow--remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.

I didn't think I needed these reminders, until I found myself complaining about the weather, or feeling discontent with our cramped house, or wishing I had so-&-so's resources, or fretting about upcoming events. When we allow our minds to think these thoughts, joy departs & discontentment surely follows.

The fact is, I have more than I deserve.

And God has orchestrated each event in my life just so... on purpose.

And there's a lesson for me in everything! Right now that lesson happens to be joy.

What lesson is God teaching you lately?

3 comments:

Weadock Family said...

Thank you! That was much needed right now :)

Stacey said...

What great reminders...thanks so much.

Hope Ellia's party went well, was looking forward to some cake all over the face pictures today:-) I still haven't posted the pics of Brienna's b-day.

I'm praying for your joy to be restored.

jennyz said...

I just love your blog, your girls are adorable! I really needed this post, I read your blog every day and I so look forward to it. I look forward to it mainly because you are always so upbeat and thankful for what you have. It is nice to know that sometimes even you can get that way. I try so hard to be thankful for what I have and to feel blessed. Some days are harder than others to feel that way though. Thanks for taking the time to post and share your family with us!