Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

A few little poems and tidbits for today. I am so blessed now to have three "moms"...

  • my own mom & dear friend, who painstakingly & lovingly raised me to be the person I am today
  • my strong birth mother, who made an incomprehensibly brave & selfless choice for me
  • my wonderful mother-in-law, who raised the perfect-for-me man I now call my husband
A Mother...
When you're a child, she walks before you,

to set an example.

When you're a teenager, she walks behind you,
to be there should you need her.

When you're an adult, she walks beside you,
So that as two friends you can enjoy life together.
~Author Unknown~



"The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed."
~~Author Unknown.~~



Baking Recipe for Mothers
1. Preheat the oven. Check to be sure there are no rubber balls or plastic soldiers lurking on the racks.
2. Remove blocks and toy cars from table. Grease pan. Crack nuts.
3. Measure 2 cups flour. Remove Johnny's hands from the flour. Wash flour off him. Re-measure flour.
4. Crack more nuts to replace those that Johnny ate. Put flour, baking powder, and salt in sifter. Get dust pan and brush up pieces of bowl that Johnny knocked on the floor. Get another bowl.
5. Answer the door-bell. Return to kitchen. Remove Johnny's hands from the bowl again. Wash Johnny. Answer the phone. Return to Kitchen.
6. Remove 1/2-inch salt from the greased pan. Look for Johnny. Grease another pan. Answer phone. Return to kitchen and find Johnny.
7. Take up greased pan and remove layer of nut shells in it. Head for Johnny who runs, knocking the bowl off the table.
8. Wash the kitchen floor, table, walls, and dishes.
9. Call the bakery and place an order. Take two aspirins and lie down.

~Author Unknown~


A Mother's Prayer
Dear Lord, it's such a hectic day,
With little time to stop and pray,
For life's been anything but calm
Since You called me to be a Mom.

Running errands, matching socks,
Building dreams with wooden blocks,
Cooking, cleaning, finding shoes
And other stuff that children lose,

Fitting lids on bottled bugs,
Wiping tears and giving hugs,
A stack of last week's mail to read
So where's the quiet time I need?

Yet, when I steal a moment, Lord,
Just at the sink or ironing board,
To ask the blessings of Your grace,
I see then, in my small one's face,

That you have blessed me all the while
And I stoop to kiss that precious smile.
~Author Unknown~

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true! Love that mother's prayer poem. Hope you had a super day!