Friday, August 18, 2006

Pros of Pregnancy

As my due date quickly approaches, I'm finding myself kind of sentimental about pregnancy. I'm really going to miss not having Olivia inside of me! I think most women are really antsy to have their babies by this point, but I'm not. I praise the Lord for a nearly ideal pregnancy with very few complaints or discomforts. Don't get me wrong--I'm totally looking forward to meeting this squirmy little peanut! But I've read far too many lists of complaints about being pregnant! So I've compiled a list of things that I really love about pregnancy, things I'll miss.

1. The appreciative, sometimes sentimental "aww-isn't-she-cute" looks from strangers.
2. A free ticket to just about any restroom, anywhere.
3. An automatic excuse to get out of things--dinner with prickly people, yucky favors that people ask, early morning or late night appointments...
4. Can you say "baby shower"??? Who doesn't love presents!?
5. You have to go shopping! There are so many adorable maternity clothes now--my maternity wardrobe is much nicer than my non-pregnancy one!
6. A different level of closeness with my husband, who has been so great these last 8 months.
7. Pampering. People don't think twice when you tell them you took a 2-hour nap that day, or that you just got a $25 pedicure.
8. The knowledge that God has blessed your marriage union and has begun a supernatural miracle... in you!
9. There's nothing like feeling the baby kick and squirm and get hiccups inside of you. Even when it hurts or is uncomfortable, I still love feeling and seeing her move.
10. You're expected to put on at least 25 pounds! (yes, I realize there's more to it than just indulging yourself! But for once in our lives, that number on the scale is supposed to go up!)


Well, I can think of a few more, but 10 is a nice, round number. :)
That's all for today.

8 comments:

pamela s said...

Thanks for showing the positive sides! As a girl who hasn't been pregnanty yet, that's very encouraging. So many times you only hear the woes of being preggers. I'm so excited for you!

S said...

One other thing that I enjoyed, was knowing that being in you was the safest place they could be for that 9 months. Once they come into the world, you feel such a protective instinct of everything you want to guard them from. I'm glad you enjoyed your pregnancy. I feel bad that I just didn't enjoy pregnancy because of the aches and pains, but I wonder if it will be different next time not having to work outside the home. Yeah! And despite the complaint lists - every mom will shout "IT"S ALL WORTH IT" :)

Anonymous said...

I totally loved this post! I really appreciated the positive spin on pregnancy since so many people don't view it that way! :) I had a great pregnancy, too, and found it to be an amazing experience. We can't wait to see pictures of your little girl! :) :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Brandon and I both read your post about "letting it all out" and laughed so hard! You guys are so funny. We both agreed that we would love to live closer to you guys -- you're too much fun!!! :)

Karen said...

Well, Karee, YOU'RE the ones who decided to up and move to Germany! :) We'd love to see you guys more often, too. Are you coming "home" for Christmas?

Katie said...

Karen,

I LOVED being pregnant too! I had a great pregnancy and never really had any morning sickness. I hardly even had any cravings, but towards the end I started making some up. I figured I'd better take advantage of my situation. I think I ate a watermelon a week. By myself. I'm looking forward to being a prego lady again sometime. :)

Jenny said...

A hearty amen, Karen! Although, I have to be honest and say that I didn't care for all the inside wiggles. (or, at any rate, I don't miss them) Other than that, I loved being pregnant too! I could have gone at least another few weeks!

Shyla said...

don't forget the maternity parking places!!! I used to get so annoyed with places like walmart who didn't have them! :) somehow my pregnancy wardrobe was WYQ cuter then my regular clothes! Maybe it's b/c when you're pregnant, you don't have to worry about sucking your stomach in!!