Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Big Sewing Fiasco

Some of you sewing savvy readers have expressed your excitement at my upcoming endeavor at a crib bumper & dust ruffle. However, you don't realize how UN-savvy a seamstress I am! Lest you set your expectations too high, I will tell you about my one and only sewing experience. It isn't a good one.

When I was a freshman in college, I got it in my head that I wanted to make a skirt for school. My mother used to make many of my clothes when I was little, so I knew she'd be the perfect teacher. What I didn't count on was the miserable failure I'd be as her pupil! So I picked out fabric I liked and a pattern I liked, and we set to work. Mom said the pattern was pretty simple, so it shouldn't take too long. We measured and cut and pieced and pinned, and I grew more and more excited. Then, we got out the sewing machine.

Now, remember that my mom sewed when I was little. Meaning... the sewing maching had LONG sat unused. Well, we hauled it out and tested it, and ...hmm... Mom said the tension wasn't quite right. I didn't know what that meant, but I knew it couldn't be good. So I huffed and threw my hands up in the air, complaining about what a waste of time & money this was. But in the next moment, Mom said, "O, there we go. That's better." Great! Problem solved! We began sewing pieces together, Mom guiding me ever so patiently. How easy is THIS!

Then the machine made a funny noise and stopped. I frowned. So did Mom. She fiddled with it, testing it and trying it, while I huffed and stomped around with my hands on my hips, cursing the sewing machine with every acceptable Christian swear word I knew.

Well, this scenario repeated itself a few more times. The machine worked and quit, worked and quit, and finally I said, "FORGET IT! This is why I just BUY my clothes!" By that time, though, we had enough of it finished for me to actually try it on. Yay! Finally!

I fumbled with the heap of fabric, trying to turn it right-side-out and shimmy out of my shorts at the same time. I found the waist part and... WHAT?!!?

And I huffed again. And then again and again. After all that work, the skirt was approximately a size 4. (FYI: I was NOT a size 4. I was a 10.) I couldn't even get it past my knees. I don't know if I cried out of frustration or not, but I swore I'd NEVER attempt a sewing project again.

Well, here I am, 8 years later, gearing up for another try. I'll keep you posted. And Mom, PLEASE don't tell my mother-in-law what a terrible pupil I was! :)

4 comments:

Vicki said...

Good luck!! Sewing is one thing I never picked up on. My mom, like yours, made most of my clothes when I was little. Even when I was a little bigger. Oh how I'd have liked to have been given that talent! I can't wait to hear how it all turns out.

Jenny said...

Oh that WAS a rotten first experience. I hope you have a different sewing machine now!! :-)

Unknown said...

You can do it, dear! Just keep your phone handy so you can call your mom for advice!

pamela s said...

The thought of sitting in front of a sewing machine scares me to death! Kudos on giving it another try after your little fiasco. I'm sure you'll be fine with your mom on the other end of the phone line. :) That's what I would be doing too.