Monday, January 16, 2006

Goings-on

Between Concordia's packed schedule and my own, it's been hard to find time to sit and post updates! The most exciting is that I'm an aunt again! Nate's sister Shannon and her husband Tim have a new little bundle named Leah. Actually Shannon wasn't due til next week, but you know how THAT can go... Nate's parents and his brother's family went out for a surprise shower for Shannon, but she ended up missing it to give birth! How fantastic that some of the fam could be there for it! Of course, Nate's mom is ecstatic--she took the week off to stay out there. Leah LaRae (I think that's how it's spelled) was 7 lbs. 2 oz. and 19 inches long, with a full head of black hair!

Kelley (coach's wife at Concordia) asked me to consider watching the boys 2 full days, instead of half. I'll probably do it, though I'll miss those 2 half days to myself!

Concordia's season is over mid-February, unless they go on to the tournament. That's doubtful, though; their 2 big players are injured. Much as I do enjoy being a coach's wife, I'll be glad to have my husband back!

O! I got my story back from my instructor . . . blown to smithereens! I'm a little discouraged about it; it doesn't get much "closer to home" than that. But I got lots of kind words from you. Thanks. Marcia (instructor) did say I've got "a terrific flair for dialogue," but many of the events in the story need expansion, she says. Which I would've done, except for the silly word limit! (Yes, I know that's a fragment. It's a stylistic one, though. :) Anyway. She said that I've got a great handle on the major points of writing, so she was "nitpicking," to help me fine tune it. Not sure I buy all of it, but I guess that's why I'm taking the course in the first place--to improve.

Nate and I are teaching 4-and5-year-old Sunday School for a few months, until the regular teachers get back from FL. I'd love to be a snowbird today--FREEZING with that wind!

That's about it, I guess. Til next time!

3 comments:

christina said...

hey karen,
just ran across your blog via shyla's. thought i'd stop by and say hey. sounds like life is going well there for you in ypsi. i can relate to being a coach's wife. nathan coaches two out of three sports seasons! soccer's not too bad, but volleyball can be rough. well, hope you have a good one.
christina

Shyla said...

Karen,
How is life? You wanna move out here and be neighbors? I miss talking to you!
Hope that all is well in Ypsilanti!

Shyla said...

1.27.05
COME BACK KAREN! WE BLOGGERS MISS YOU! :)