Thursday, August 30, 2018

I'm not dead!



I can't imagine anyone is checking in here anymore, since it has been nearly 4 years since I last posted.  FOUR YEARS!  My, how the clock ticks on!  But my girls have discovered this blog recently, and they absolutely LOVE being able to look back at this digital scrapbook of sorts.  At their behest, I'm going to try to be consistent again at blogging.

I won't try to update 4 years of life in one single post, but here are the basics:


In 2015 we moved from idyllic northern Michigan to North Carolina.  I went back to teaching after 10 years out of the classroom (!), and all 3 girls went to the Christian school where I taught... Olivia in 4th, Ellia in 2nd, and Brienna in 1st.     
Olivia, 4th  

Ellia, 2nd


Brienna, 1st



As for me, I taught 6th grade English and Bible. It was difficult, exciting, overwhelming, rewarding, exhausting, exhilarating, frustrating, and challenging.  
yours truly, 2015.  

But the Lord was good to us, as He always is.  We grew so much during those three years in NC and learned a whole lot about our family's needs and God's desires for us.  
at a friend's wedding in SC

We have so much to be thankful for after having experienced that season.  The girls grew like weeds.  I absolutely can not believe the changes in them!






2016


2017





All 3 girls played organized basketball and soccer in NC in the intramural leagues offered.  

Olivia took one year of piano, and Ellia took 2 years.  They will be continuing to learn this instrument, as they both have a gift for it!



Brienna took one year of violin and did well.  Against her wishes, we're going to try to find someone to continue teaching her.  :)  


Olivia played on the interscholastic middle school volleyball team last year in 6th grade.  She LOVES team sports and wants to continue honing her skills.

Olivia and Ellia had opportunities to compete in state academic and fine arts competitions.  Between them, they competed in choir, piano, speech, academic testing, spelling, and art.  We're very proud of their hard work!

After 3 years in NC, the Lord led us back "home" to Michigan, athough in a different area than we had lived before.  I am not teaching anymore, and the girls are in their 2nd week of their new Christian school.  


2018, just last week.  
Um... WHERE are my 3 baby girls???

And as for me, WELL!  I am in an entirely new season of life!  The girls are all away at school each day, and I am not working outside our home.  This is the first time in my adult life that I have not had a job or kids at home, or both.  I'll be honest with ya, I'm not hatin' it so far!
First Day no kids/no school.  *limited time only*

But you know us... life is never boring!  I'm hoping for some subbing opportunities in their schools, and I'll be volunteering in the elementary cafeteria once a week.  

Oh, and there's also THIS new development:


a precious gift from the Lord, a darling baby BOY!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Hi Karen, I was happy to see a post from you pop up. :) I meant to comment then, but forgot...and then we went on vacation out west for 2 weeks. So I'm just now getting around to it! You probably don't remember me but I was a couple years ahead of you at NBBC (I think I was in your husband's class). Anyway, I followed your blog years ago, when I too was blogging faithfully (alas, not anymore!) and it was fun to hear what you've been up to. Congrats on the new little boy on the way!! How exciting. We too had a "caboose" baby (total surprise); there are 6 years between her and my next oldest. She is almost 4 now and has been the sweetest blessing to us...it's so different having a baby with older kids (in a GOOD way). I hope you're having a lovely fall!