Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In which I would like to burn this into my memory...

Is there anything in the world sweeter than a child with a heart for God?
I think not.

Trusting faith in Him and a love for His Word--these are always gifts, but they're exceptionally precious when He plants them in the heart of a child.

It's late.  8:48 p.m. on a Wednesday.  We don't do much at bedtime, since they've just spent the evening at Wednesday night Bible study.  It's quick kisses and hugs, and lights out.

Tonight she asks, "Can I read my Bible to my sisters for a couple minutes?
(We've been making our way through Proverbs together at bedtime.  Just finished chapter 2.)

"Sure," I say.  "Six minutes, okay?  Read a few verses and pray, and then lights out at 8:55."

I sit at the bottom of the stairs, unseen, as she reads through verse 10, giving simple explanations along the way.  My mama heart swells as she tells her sisters, "...that means God will be pleased with your actions... and this means God will help you through all your life... shun evil means--well, it must mean not to do wrong things."

And her prayer sent me running for the Kleenex box.

Dear God,
Thank you that you give us wisdom.  Thank you that all we have to do is just ask you for wisdom, and you give it to us.  You are mighty and strong, and you can give whatever you want.  Thank you for always taking care of us.  Help us to honor you.
In Jesus' name,
Amen 

No comments: