Monday, February 06, 2012

Healthy Pumpkin Muffins

I recently read a cute quotation:  
"A muffin is just a clever way to eat cake for breakfast."

I recently made pumpkin muffins that (I think) can be justifiably deemed healthy.  Or mostly so.
Each muffin contains about 160 calories.  I wanted a muffin that tasted healthy (not super-sweet!) but not gross (tasteless & cardboard-y).  They're dense and moist and flavorful!  Yay, success! 

Each muffin contains just about 2 teaspoons of sugar.  I don't think they taste overly sweet, though next time I will try swapping out some of the brown sugar for natural sweeteners.   
(I added nuts to half of the recipe; calculations do not include nuts.)

Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
Yield: 24  

Ingredients
2-1/3 c. flour
3/4 c. ground flaxseed
2/3 c. oats
2 t. powder
1 T. pumpkin pie spice
1 c. brown sugar
1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin
1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. oil
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.  In a smaller bowl, mix the wet ingredients.  Add the pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full.  Bake about 30 minutes or until muffins test done.  Makes 2 dozen muffins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.