Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's a DIY Miracle! ($0.90 Personalized Pillar Candle with $2 DIY Hurricane)

I like pretty things.
I do not, however, spend lots of money on pretty things.

I also do not have the Crafting gene.  Crafts make me twitch.  It's all the mess and the perfection that's required, and the concentration/focus... as well as the personal failure you feel when you don't get the results you were hoping for. 
(That's what I've heard, anyway.)

BUT!  When I came across this little project, I knew that I, LO, EVEN I could do this!

Behold:  the DIY hurricane, sporting a DIY monogrammed pillar candle!
(I also do not have the photography gene.)

For the Hurricane, I used the these supplies, purchased from Dollar Tree:
  • glass candlestick 
  • tall glass vase
Now, these instructions are PRET-TY tricky, so play close attention.
  1. Apply super glue to the top rim of the candlestick.
  2. Place the vase atop the candlestick, exactly in the center.  (DUH.)
  3. Place a small book on top, just for slight pressure, until the glue is dry.**

**Note:  It would be pretty embarrassing to admit it, but if you did a little happy dance and puffed your chest out at all the craftiness which you obviously possess, it would be perfectly acceptable in the privacy of your own home.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You're too funny :-) I totally agree with the craft-induced twitchiness. I love the idea of making things & I love looking for things to make. I even love gathering the supplies. It's actually being still long enough to do the craft that is the booger-ier-ist part :-)
Your candle is lovely. Here's your offical pat on the back from me!

Carrie said...

Okay, you've inspired me! :) I actually bought all the supplies to make one of these back before Christmas, and I STILL haven't done it. Maybe for Valentine's Day?! Yours turned out beautifully--thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Turned out great, Karen! I didn't know you lacked the "craft" gene -- I think you must be mistaken about that because that candle looks fabulous!