Friday, January 28, 2011

A Special Focus for 2011

For the past couple of weeks, I have been considering developing a personal focus or theme for this year, a simple truth on which I can intentionally meditate and focus throughout the year. 

I prayed about what sort of theme would be most appropriate for this particular season of life, considering the things with which I struggle most... the areas in which I earnestly desire to grow... the Scriptures which God most often uses to reprove and encourage my heart.  And I finally settled on a theme:

~~~Worship In Your Work~~~

Over and over these past few weeks, God has graciously reminded me of the real reason for which I [insert task/chore/responsibility here].  Every duty, every obligation, every task--regardless of how "small"--must be done for God's glory.  And when I have that mindset, of doing everything I do with excellence, because I serve a God who is worth it, that's worship! 

Worship is not reserved for Sundays.  (At least it shouldn't be!)
And worship is not (just) the dutiful singing of three congregational hymns in front of a songleader.

Worship, as I heard it defined two weeks ago, is "any attitude, affection, or action by which we display the worth or value of God."

Do you know what that means?
DO YOU???

It means that when I wash sinkful after sinkful of dirty dishes, thanking God for providing a nourishing meal & the privilege of serving it to my family, I am expressing worship!

When I diligently work at my job, grateful for the enjoyable work and good pay, I am offering up fragrant worship!

When I do everything I can to help, respect, encourage, and promote Nate... that's worship!

When I sweep up sandwich crumbs, or put clean Kid Laundry away, or faithfully train my children in godliness, or sort through their piles of whathaveyou...
... God views it as beautiful worship! 

What a precious opportunity!  

"Whatever you do,
WORK HEARTILY,
as for the Lord...
...you are serving the Lord Christ."
--Colossians 3:23-24

*****************************
Do you have a special focus or theme for this year?

No comments: