Saturday, July 31, 2010

Resolution Review: July 2010

Happy (almost) August!  Just checking in to log my progress regarding my New Years Resolutions. In order to keep myself accountable this year, I'm doing monthly reviews, in which I share my successes--or maybe failures--of the past month.
Here's how I did for July:
  • Start and/or maintain healthy habits... check!  I did the TaeBo videos several times in June; even though TaoBo is INFINTELY more fun than Pilates, I still longed to get outside and RUN!  Finally, after receiving the green light from my bodyguard (Love you, Nate!), I've been running nearly every day since.  It's just around the block--most of it is a busy main street--but it's better than exercising in front of the TV!  The block is .6 miles, and I'm running it three times most mornings. 
          I lost 6 pounds in July, bringing my total to 31 pounds.  My goal for 2010 was to lose 30 pounds; I can hardly believe I've actually accomplished it--in 7 months!  Losing weight is not easy for me, (If it's easy for you, do me a favor and DON'T tell me!)  and I have to give God the credit for granting self-denial and perseverance.  Although my 30-pound goal has been met, my ultimate goal is 40 pounds--what I weighed on my wedding day.  I have a feeling these final 10 pounds won't come off without a BIG fight, so my weight loss goal for August is 3 pounds
  • Go one one date per month...check!  We went out last night; a big thanks goes to Justin & Kelly for babysitting.
  • Spend less...check, I think!  I threw out a whole wad of receipts, without realizing that they hadn't yet been recorded.  But we've not splurged on anything, so my guess is that July was fairly typical.
  • Host guests once per month... check!  We had Nate's brother Ryan and his family over for dinner, along with Kathy (my friend who taught me to sew).
How'd you do with your resolutions in July?

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Karen, that is awesome! Congratulations on the resolution perseverance! Do you mind if I ask what you've been doing to help you lose the weight so steadily?? I am so happy for you!!!

Karen said...

Jenny, I've really just been cutting WAY back on calories (I eat right around 1000 each day.) and amping up the exercise.

Anonymous said...

How on earth are you able to nurse a baby on only 1000 calories a day?

Karen said...

@Anonymous (who ARE you???) :)
I choose them--the calories--very carefully. I'm not a calorie-counter, and it does fluctuate some. But when I actually do pay attention, I find that 1000 or so is just about the norm.

I'll usually have a scrambled egg & toast or oatmeal for breakfast (200-ish cal.).

I almost always eat very light at lunch--very often I'll have a 180 cal.-protein shake and some fruits & veggies. (75-ish? not sure.) Other times I'll skip the shake and have a big green salad (but without croutons, cheese, bacon bits, scads of dressing, etc...)

Then dinner is when I can "spend" more calories... maybe upwards of 5 or 600. I'm rarely hungry, except last week when I exercised 6 of the 7 days. But when I AM hungry, I eat something. I just try to be really mindful in my food choices.

Other than my once-daily coffee habit, I don't drink anything except water. That makes a big difference (more calories to "spend" on food!).

When it comes to fruits & especially vegetables, I don't ever say no. I really don't know how many calories are in fresh produce, because I never pay it any attention. I'm certain I don't "over-indulge" in this area. :)

And God has been really gracious to keep my milk supply sufficient for Brienna's needs.

Perhaps that was more info than you really cared for. :)

And really, who are you??

Carrie said...

Wow, awesome job!! I'm so impressed with your weight loss. I really need to get working on my last 10 lbs. of baby weight, too. I've lost 20 lbs. in the past 1.5 years, but those last 10 are giving me trouble (or maybe I should say, my lack of discipline is the problem! ;)). Thanks for sharing your success--it's very inspiring!

Oh, and it was neat to read how you spend your calories, too. I'm not "anonymous" but it was interesting/helpful to read that! :)