As much as I love to cook, I don't like to spend the afternoon and evening in the kitchen! I recently hinted at freezer cooking , sometimes referred to as once-a-month-cooking, and I'm almost ready!
Here's how I'm going about it:
- Secure a date. Mine is Monday, April 5.
- Secure childcare, if necessary. Our heaven-sent angel Melissa has Mondays off, and she's coming over to tend to the girls while I cook like a madwoman.
- Decide on the items you want to freeze.
- Make a list of the necessary ingredients, along with quantities needed (TWENTY cups of flour) (!).
- Check those items which you already have. The un-checked items=ready-made shopping list!
6. Double check with husband regarding mile-long shopping list. Assure him that your family will SAVE money in the long run!
7. Scour sale ads and dig through your coupons.
8. Devise your play-by-play for Cooking Day. Consider necessary counter space (rolling out yeast rolls?), oven use, time needs (using a crock pot? waiting for pizza dough to rise?), and clean-up times.
All I've got to do now is go shopping--for me, almost as fun as Cooking Day itself.
Here's my list of items for Monday:
Butterhorns (makes 32)
Olive Cheese Bread x2
Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes x2
Breakfast Cookies x2
Chicken Spaghetti x2
Stove Top Meatloaf x2
Basic Meatballs x2
Pizza Dough x2 (total of 4 crusts)
Chopped onions x4 (1/2 cup each)
Taco meat x3
Beans (2 bags=8 cans)
Refried Beans x3
Have you ever done freezer cooking?