Thursday, November 19, 2009

Homemade Egg Noodles

Last week we had chicken noodle soup, made with homemade chicken broth.
I also made homemade egg noodles, which are so good, and surprisingly easy!

Start by measuring 2 cups flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center and add 3 egg yolks, 1 egg, and 2 t. salt. Mix thoroughly with hands. Add water, a little at a time--1/4 to 1/2 cup.

Add only enough water to form dough into a ball.







Turn dough onto a well-floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. In my experience, it takes a considerable amount of flour to keep the dough from sticking to my hands and kneading surface.







This looks great! Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a clean towel. Let it rest about 10 minutes.




Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each part into a paper-thin rectangle.

Or oval. Or whatever shape pleases you. It matters not.
I chose to roll this one to resemble a Christmas ornament.




Cut dough into strips. The size will depend on how wide or narrow you want your noodles. Don't forget that the noodles will plump up quite a bit as they cook. I use a pizza cutter, and obviously I don't care about the width. I've got all sizes!


You can use your noodles immediately, if desired, by boiling them in salted water until tender--just like any other pasta.

Or, you can lay them out on a clean, lightly floured towel, like this:

...and then you can break them into smaller pieces if you like.







The hardest part is trying to convince your kids that the veggies are just as good as the noodles. But even I don't believe that.



What do you make that gets a "Wow!" from other people?

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Hey, Karen - I also make homemade noodles! My grandma taught me how when I was in junior high & it's been my job to make the chicken & noodles for Thanksgiving & Christmas ever since. The way I do it is similar to yours, but more different than I thought it would be. I love to make things from scratch like that.
I suppose my 'WOW' recipe would have to be my homemade sugar cookies. Fun to make, fun to eat!
BTW, one of your former posts asked if we as readers got tired of your child-related posts. Of course not! :-)

Anonymous said...

Karen,

I'm looking forward to watching your girls tomorrow! I can't wait to meet Brienna, she's adorable.

Love,
Joanna

Sadie said...

Those noodles look delicious! We can't purchase egg noodles over here, thank you for posting the recipe and directions. What a blessing!

Valerie said...

I found your post in a google search and I'm so glad. I made these last week and we loved them! I even posted your recipe on my blog along with a link back here. I hope that's okay.