Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sick Kid

Olivia has a terrible cold & hasn't slept well the last 2 nights. And you know what that means:

Mommy hasn't slept, either. Tuesday night was just awful; I think we snagged a grand total of about 2 hours. Last night was much better, and I think the worst of it has passed. She's much more perky today and, other than sounding pretty stuffed up, is a mellower version of her old self.

I'm drifting farther and farther away from traditional pharmaceutical medicines & ever closer to homemade & natural remedies. Just about every time I go with the natural ones, I'm so glad I did! Here's what Livvie's been taking in the last 48 hours or so:

Whenever I think the kids might be fighting something, or if something yucky is going around church, I immediately start giving them their probiotics! This particular one contains 3 billion live, active organisms (Yum, huh?) and takes no effort at all. Just sprinkle a bit onto their breakfast or into their water, and that's it!


This is an immune system booster containing 2 kinds of echinacea. 2 chewables with each meal. They taste like sweet tarts. This was what I gave her at the reunion as well, and her stomach bug was gone within 3 doses. Wahoo!


This homeopathic remedy for colds & flu treats sneezing, stuffed-up nose, runny nose, coughing, sore throat, chills, headache, aches & pains... the works! Check out these directions, which you won't find on any pharmaceutical or prescription bottle: "Take 2 tablets every hour until symptoms improve. Then, every 3 hours, then 3 times per day until well." Livvie likes these--they're sweet, and you're supposed to let them dissolve on your tongue. I was actually chuckling at her at 3 a.m., as she sucked noisily on these things.

Livvie had this homeopathic cough syrup with natural honey a couple of times in the night. Her coughing started to keep her awake then grew so violent that she started to vomit. I think it's the honey base that makes it so effective. Someone gave me a recipe for homemade cough syrup made with lemon and flaxseeds, but she won't touch the stuff.


I used this willow/garlic ear oil only a couple of times during this illness. This is what we use for the kids for ear infections. On Wednesday Livvie complained twice of ear pain, so I just dropped a few drops into her ear and massaged a bit... I don't think she ever had an ear infection, but with a natural product like this, I don't have to worry about hurting her with unnecessary medications. [Downside: it smells reeeeeeally strong! Whew!]
And now Livvie's singing and playing and coloring! The more I try natural/homeopathic remedies, the more I believe in them!
Has your household been fairly well this summer?

5 comments:

Abby said...

Do you just get all those at a Health Food/Natural store in your town? I'm going to have to look into those because I hate giving Eli some of the medicines he's had to have when he's sick!

Karen said...

For all but the echinacea complex, I purchased them at Whole Foods. You may be able to find the echinacea there as well, but I don't know.

Live, active probiotics will be in the refrigerated section as they need a cool climate to survive. Good luck!

Mary Ann said...

I'm glad Livvie is feeling better - there is nothing more miserable than being sick in the summer! I actually woke up with strep throat the day after our wedding. I'm super glad we hadn't left for our honeymoon yet so that I could get into a local clinic for a shot. 48 hours later I was much better but I was disappointed that Mike had to take care of me again while I was sick. Sweet man!

Abby said...

Very cool - we have a Whole Foods about 10 minutes from us :-) I guess I know where I'm going this weekend! Thanks!

Kelley Kuehn said...

I love the Baby Jarro Probiotic! The kids take it every day and my what a difference it has made since they started taking it. Thanks for all the other good suggestions! Hope you are all feeling better now.