Thursday, July 30, 2009

Homemade Cough Remedy

Many thanks to my Aunt Crickett (no, of course that's not her real name, silly!) for sharing with me this recipe for cough syrup. It's so easy to prepare and use, and I don't have to worry about dosages!

Here are the easy-peasy instructions, PW style:



Slice one lemon with its rind. I like to use my cute little lemon-shaped cutting board. It just feels right.
Place in a pot with 1 quart of water.




Add one cup whole flaxseeds. Emphasis on whole. Trust me on this one-- you do not want to use ground flaxseeds. The results are tragic.








Simmer--don't boil--for about 3 hours. I've actually done it in 2, and it was fine. You just want to give it time to thicken up some. Let it go much longer than 3 hours, and it'll resemble the contents of your kleenex. Ew. You won't even want to look at it, much less ingest it.




Then, strain out the lemon and flaxseeds. This, by the way, is why you don't want to use ground flaxseed--you can strain it out! And it is awful, truly. I use my ultra-fine mesh strainer & strain it into a long casserole dish.

Then, just store in the fridge and take as needed! I like mine warmed in a mug with a generous tablespoon or 6 of honey (think tea). It's not tasty, mind you, but I can get it down. With lots of honey.

Happy cough-suppressing!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

well, take heart. The honey soothes. :-) Thanks for the recipe! Get well soon!

Stacey said...

It would have to be a pretty bad cough for me to try that one....EWWW it just sound awful:-)

No grand plans for my B-Day, hubby is in the states....but I'm just kinda making this week my B-day week and just relaxing. Bought myself a cute purse and I feel great:-)

undergroundcrowds said...

flaxseeds are really good for you, apparently. I've also heard of a remedy with onion and honey (supposedly it's doesn't taste like onion).

jennifer said...

am cracking up at the PW style recipe.