Friday, June 19, 2009

Pregnancy Update: 26 weeks

At 26 weeks & 4 days, I'm definitely starting to feel the old familiar mid-pregnancy pains and fatigue. Our move is doing nothing to help, either! Much as I tell myself to go easy with the bending and lifting, I never do. By dinnertime each day, I'm really feeling it. It's gratifying to see our house empty out, but not worth doing damage to my already-frail back, so I need to back off on that.

Almost as big a concern has been the extreme fatigue I've been battling. I attributed it to a combination of pregnancy, moving, being quite hit-or-miss with my vitamins, and girls who get up with the sun! But then I saw the doctor this week & had some lab work done--the glucose test, as well as an antibody screen to check on my Rh status. Both were fine. What weren't fine were my iron levels; as it turns out, I'm anemic. Nice to have a physiological reason for feeling like such a zombie! I intend to up my water intake significantly, be religious about my vitamin habits, and purposefully eat hearty, iron-filled breakfasts.

Other than those things, everything is pretty much as it should be. I'm almost entirely into my maternity wardrobe, and Baby Girl is moving and kicking very regularly. I can't believe we'll be meeting her in just 12-16 weeks!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Hey, Karen - as a person who struggles with anemia just because, let me tell you a little something I've learned. In order to absorb the iron in your food/supplement you need to intake vitamin C as well. That was a mistake I was making so the iron fortified stuff I was eating wasn't helping as much as it should have. And boy I know what you mean - anemia makes you feel SO TIRED! I hope you get lots of your strength back!

Stacey said...

Just worried about ya and hoping you are ok. You haven't posted in a few weeks. Miss placed your e-mail address. I know you are busy with moving and the new baby arriving soon.

Just thinking about ya and missing your post.