Saturday, October 06, 2007

Homemade cleaners


A couple of you asked about safe, homemade household cleaner recipes. I have no idea where I got these; I looked ALL OVER the internet for concoctions. Suffice it to say they aren't original to me! It's comforting to know that Olivia isn't ingesting dangerous chemicals when she puts her mouth on the coffee table. Or the cupboard doors... or the table leg...
NOTE: I tried repeatedly to put extra spacing between all these recipes, to no avail. Good luck.
All purpose cleaner:
2 T. mild dishwashing soap
2 C. water
Glass Cleaner:
1 part white vinegar
1 part water
Oven/Deep Kitchen:
3 parts warm water
1 part baking soda
Bathroom:
quarter-sized dollop dishwashing soap
1 T. or so baking soda
(just enough of each to make a thick paste. BONUS: If you have yummy-smelling dish soap, your cleaner will smell yummy, too! Mine's orange.)
Furniture Polish:
1/4 c. olive oil
4 T. vinegar
2 t. lemon juice
(This must be refrigerated, as the lemon juice will go rancid. This isn't a "dusting" polish, but a true furniture polish.)

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Karen-

I used the baking soda/dish soap recipe on my tub this weekend. Worked like a charm! NONE of the store-bought products that I tried worked at all. You were right, took a little elbow grease, but now my tub sparkles. THANK YOU!

Karen said...

Yay! I thought about you when I put up this post. I'm so glad...

Jenny said...

Thanks for posting these - searching for recipes was on my "if-I-have-spare-time-yeah-right" list. Hurray!