Monday, May 14, 2007

Statement by Joseph Zichterman


Who am I? This is not the easiest question to answer, especially when you fully understand that everyone who reads this bio will know that everything written about me was written by me. Who am I? I’m by nature a monastic and by this I mean I’m conservative and contemplative. I’m also a student, and I’d like to stay in this profession for the rest of my life. I love to speak on topics that are closest to my heart, such as apologetics, theology, leadership, and Biblical studies. I’m independent, but at the same time I understand how dependent I am on the rest of the body of Christ. I’m a philosopher who loves to mull complex questions over and over in my mind on a never-ending search to solve the pressing dilemma of the day (or at least the hour). I love putting the musings of my own personal spiritual journey to music. I am always growing, never complete, ever seeking and hopefully, a changing, committed Christian.
I have been involved in many different religious groups from Catholic to Quaker, from Presbyterian to Southern Baptist. Several years after committing myself to Christ, I was persuaded by very sincere Christians to become an independent, separatist fundamentalist, and ultimately I ended up speaking at churches and conferences as a church growth antagonist. After many years of contemplating fundamentalist theology, coupled with a series of life-altering events, I finally decided to forsake my separatist roots and reconcile myself with the rest of the body of Christ. I have even now joined the Emergent conversation. I believe that each one of these groups plays a unique role in God’s master plan for His church to turn the world upside down, and I feel my involvement with each group has made me a better Christian in different ways.
At present, my wife and I are members of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois and are taking part in the conversation at Life on the Vine in Long Grove, Illinois, as well as attending a charismatic church (and no, I haven’t spoken in tongues yet). We basically attend church in one form or another five times a week, and to put it in my children’s words, “This is a lot of church, dad!” We have met many wonderful people who all love the same Savior. They have encouraged us, inspired us, laughed with us, and posed questions that have provoked us with their passion for God’s activity in this world.
And finally, in respect to my ministry career, I was a college professor of Theology, Biblical Studies and Counseling for ten years and a senior pastor for eight years. I have completed my first PhD in Biblical Studies and am currently finishing my second PhD in Church History from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, Illinois. I spend the rest of my time giving pastors a little break from their pulpits, doing in-depth bible study classes, traveling (just a little), speaking at conferences, and writing music. I’m hoping that by the time I’m done with this next degree I’ll know a little more than I did yesterday.
This material, along with additional information, is located here.

17 comments:

Sara said...

Hmmmm, I don't even know how to respond to that! I loved him as a professor, as I am sure you remember. His writing is grammatically intelligent, which you know I love, but does he sound "confused?" I'm just not sure. What is YOUR take on that?!

Sara said...

And I can't follow that link for whatever reason...

Karen said...

I'm really shocked and disappointed, to tell you the truth, Sara. I really liked him, too--he was as straight an arrow as they come. If you don't know, Willow Creek is a huge, (20,000+)interdenominational mega-church. You might remember that he was VERY MUCH on the anti-megachurch warpath at NBBC. Anyway, I don't know what we'll see in the future, but I hope he comes around.

Karen said...

By the way, I've corrected the link. Sorry.

Sara said...

I did NOT know what it was. That's why that confused me. Very strange. Wow! I just can't even put my thoughts into words.

Kelly Glupker said...

I would encourage you (and others) to listen to Joe's audio clip which explains why he joined Willow Creek. It is about 80 or 90 minutes long, but worth the time. He has some very insightful things to say concerning cults and "high-control" groups. I think this audio file will help us all to understand his position.

Shyla said...

i am with kelly. nathan and i took the time to listen to it a while ago. i understand how everyone is feeling - however, i think the audio clip is worth your time.

karen, i read created to be his help meet. did you like it? a group of friends and i read it here.

happy first mother's day!

beck said...

Hey Karen... I read this and then did a little research on my own...
Bill Hybels the senior pastor of this "church" is really messed up!!! He is affiliated with Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven Life... And you know where I stand on that:) Anyways... just thought I'd let you know...I tried to listed to the link of why Mr. Z joined and couldn't... but regardless of that... I don't understand how he could get involved with the likes of Bill Hybel... thats all...I guess I put my 2cents in:)

Karen said...

Way ahead of you, Kelly & Shyla. I did listen to the audio clip. If by "understand" you mean "agree with," then no, I absolutely do not "understand" his new position. The meager handful of truly Biblical insights he shared in no way makes me appreciate the direction he has taken. I remain disappointed.

Karen said...

I almost forgot, Shyla... I very much liked Created to be His Help Meet. A couple things raised an eyebrow for me, but on the whole, I found it to be excellent. I really appreciated all the Scripture that Pearl quoted. What about you?

Kelly Glupker said...

Karen,
I am not implying that I agree with the position he has taken. I have my own concerns with the CGM. However, I can certainly relate to his concerns with the fundamentlist movement and even his decision to depart from it. I think that some of us who grew up in fundamentalism have this idea that it is the only way. We accept a lot of the rules and standards we are told to live by because that is what we think "good" Christianity is. Unforunately fundamentalism has become known for what it stands against rather than what it stands for. I am certainly not trying to start an argument. I just can't help but think that Joe would be criticized regardless of what group he joined if it wasn't a fundamental one.
Again, please let me make it very clear, that I would not condone or join the group he has joined. But I do understand why he left fundamentalism.
Sorry for the long comment!

Karen said...

No problem, Kelly--I know you're not trying to stir up trouble. :) Thanks for clarifying your position, though. And you're probably right, in that Zichterman would be criticized for leaving, no matter what sect he chose.

But I think sometimes (too many times) people think that all fundamentalists are created equally--that EVERY indy-fundy church condemns pants & movies, requires women to be weak & mousey, and "spiritually abuses" all who disagree. Sure, fundamentalism has its problems, but I'm surprised that Zich would choose the problems of the CGM (church growth movement) over those of fundamentalism. Seems to me a better choice would be to choose a better indy-fundy church, rather than to swing so far.

I do agree that many of our generation can't or won't think for themselves. What a shame. Personally, I have chosen fundamentalism--not because my parents told me it was best, but because I believe it's best.

Anyway. And you thought YOUR comment was long!

Sara said...

Wow! That was entirely entertaining for me. I will save from another lengthy comment, and just say that I am with you, Karen. Ditto on your last comment! It gave me goosebumps, or goosepimples (depending on your whereabouts)!
And I, on the other hand, do NOT have 80-90 minutes to listen to his "reasoning," so if that means, I do not have a right to comment, you may disregard any remarks I have made thus far:)

ruth said...

He looks so different in that picture! Almost like a teenager. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass at N'Land! :)

It is such a surprising and strange leap. I heard that Mr. Zichterman wrote his dissertation for his doctorate on the mega-church movement.

Karen said...

You know I value your opinion, Sara. :)

And hi, Ruth! Yes, he did defend his (former) anti-mega-church position for his dissertation, for which he apologized in his 81-minute audio clip.

Kelly Glupker said...

Karen,
You are certainly right in that not all of fundamentalism is created equally. My husband did not grow up in a "fundamental" church, but he was very closely tied to one during his teenage years. These particular ties gave him a very poor impression of what fundamentalism is. Thankfully, he has since been in other fundamental churches that are healthy and do not condemn all the things you listed above. There are certainly fundamental groups on the rise that are trying to reclaim some ground. Many of these churches are preaching a life of faith, rather than a life of works (following rules and standards to gain favor with God). Praise the Lord!

Karen said...

I'm sure your husband can really appreciate the "healthy" fundamental churches, since he has personally experienced the "sick" ones. It's refreshing to see evidences of fundamental wellness! I echo your PTL!