Saturday, October 21, 2006

We've Been Waiting for You

I came across this book while I was pregnant, and I cried & cried. It's written by a woman to her baby. This morning while Olivia napped, I got it out and glanced through it and cried again. Here's one excerpt:

So who are you, anyway? What fabulous concoction of dust and DNA and heaven's breath? What did God see when you first crossed His mind? You're so fresh from heaven, there's still angel dust on you. I am so amazed God sent you here.

Isn't that beautiful? Here's another:

A League of our Own

My baby and I
We do not resemble
Those La Leche pictures
Of mother and child.

He is crying
And I'm crying harder
It hurts, it doesn't work
We've been tricked.

But my baby is brave
Stubborn
{ H U N G R Y }
He will not give up
So neither will I.

Slowly it happens
Wonder of wonders
Moses got water from stone
But this...
This is something else.

I am the Dairy Queen
My boy, he is a genius
And our God is so tender
To have thought this up...

This necessary intimacy
At regular intervals
The exquisite dependence
Of mother and child.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

that second on is great, Karen. I could have written that during the first (very painful) days, nay verily, weeks of feeding. It does hurt, and it is a miracle. Worth it, very much.

Unknown said...

That is beautiful and so true. I look forward to breast-feeding our next child - whenever that may be.

Tricia said...

That second one was great. That was Ian and me completely, but it was easy as pie with Calvin, so I guess you do live and learn. Olivia is adorable!