Thursday, October 26, 2006

Good Eatin'

A few weeks ago my secret sister at church gave me a Mennonite church cookbook. The first recipe I tried was called Decadent French Toast. I'm convinced these Mennonite ladies know their way around a kitchen, because this stuff is GOOOOOOOD! I've made it twice already, and I'm planning to make it for tomorrow morning, too! Here's the recipe:

Decadent French Toast

Ingredients
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 T. light corn syrup
1 loaf French or Italian bread
4 eggs
1-1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions
Mix together brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Heat until boiling and boil one minute, stirring constantly. Pour into a sprayed 9x13 pan. Slice bread into 3/4" slices and nestle into syrup. Blend eggs, milk, and vanilla; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350* for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The first time I made this, I microwaved the leftovers the next day. It was still quite good. The second time, I cut this recipe in half. I used 2 eggs and baked it in a glass pie plate.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow! That sounds wonderful!! I will be serving this at our breakfast table on Sunday!!! I will let you know how it goes!!



When I make french toast...I don't bake it but I do add brown sugar and mill to our egg mixture! Wonderful!!!

Unknown said...

that sounds delicioso! and it would make a great company dish since you can assemble it the night before and refrigerate it. i'll have to try that next month when my mom and gramma visit. thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

that does sound really good. i will have to try it soon.

Anonymous said...

hi karen,
i just made the decadent french toast for my family this morning... they LOVED it. next time i will have to make a double batch! we are BIG eaters over here!
janelle

Karen said...

Yay! I'm so glad, Janelle!