Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Admissions of an Addict

I love sugar. Most days (un-pregnant days, that is), if given a choice between a quarter-pound burger or a Reese's, I'd choose the Reese's without blinking. I'm thinking about this because I've just savored a Reese's Peanut Butter Egg, leftover from Easter, and my o my...it was divine. But it got me thinking that, while I'm unashamedly a sugar addict and always have been, I am a little picky when it comes to sweets.

A few "treats" on my yucky list include tootsie rolls, which I've never liked. I can't get past their resemblance to a turd. Blech! I also don't care much for 3Musketeers, which just taste like fluff to me. I don't like Rolos--I love caramel, but not the pull-your-fillings-out sticky kind. I don't like lollipops, either. Also, most hard candy I'll do without--sweet tarts, jolly ranchers, lemon drops, etc. Eww. No matter how serious the sugar withdrawal, I'd forgo each of these choices.

Some treats that I like but not LOVE are the following: Snickers (Nate would be appalled!), Milky Way, M&Ms (with the exception of the peanut butter variety), and most variations of the good ole Hershey bar. I'm also not a big fan of Butterfinger. These to me are just mediocre; I'd choose these over the yucky list, but I'd pass if something better were available.

Now, for the to-die-for list! I've always loved the aforementioned Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. I guess it must be a texture thing, because that creamy, melt-in-your-mouth feeling is just the best. I also love Twix, Almond Joy (I'm like my Papa there), and Payday. Mmm, Payday. Wish there were some of those lying around! Oreos, but only if there's milk for dunking. And Caramello. Now, Caramello is starkly different than Rolos; the caramel in Caramello is stringy and gooey. I like that. And there's this one candy bar I've always loved, but I can't remember its name. It had a light carmel coating with peanuts on the outside, and a sweet, white, nougat-type stuff inside. Man, that is good. As for candy, I like Bottle Caps, especially the root beer ones. And chewy things--chewy sweet tarts, chewy runts, chewy sprees. I also like mildy sour things, like sour gummy worms and such.

There ya go. I'm not a total sweets fanatic, right? At least I don't think so. What are some of your favorites?

12 comments:

Heather said...

Karen you do like your sweets don't you?!?! Just reading your post is making my mouth water! Not good, especially since I just did 2 mile walk on my lunch break! :)

I would have to say I agree with you...there is nothing better than a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. The second kind of candy that I like is Take 5. I think it has 5 different things in it…pretzel, peanut butter, chocolate, caramel and something else...but man is it good!

Ok, I have to stop thinking about chocolate right now before I blow my diet!

Unknown said...

Oh my, you must have been hungry when you wrote this post.

My faves are almond joy, almond snickers, peanut or peanut butter m&ms, york peppermint pattys, and those lindor truffles - the hazelnut variety. Have you ever had one of those? You'd probably love it since you're a texture girl.

Have you ever had foreign candy? English cadbury is the absolute best in my book!

Unknown said...

btw, let me add that you are SO LUCKY to be pregnant so you can eat all these things without feeling guilty!

Jenny said...

I say, WHY feel guilty? (unless of course, you eat all your favorites at once!!!) Eat candy now, salad later and rejoice! All things in moderation, right?

My favorite is anything with dark chocolate--the darker the better! And please let it melt in your mouth, don't chew!! Bonus that I just found out it's good for your heart AND fights cancer! Hurray!

Target carries this amazing expresso beans/dark chocolate bar. It lasts for weeks 'cause it's so rich! I haven't had one since I've been pregnant, but THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

Vicki said...

Are you talking about the something Nut Roll? It comes in a red and white wrapper? I have never been too keen on those, they're pretty salty! When I first read this at work I had literally just thrown away my Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wrapper...funny. I'm a fan of anything chocolate, but not with nuts or almonds. And recently I've been into marshmallows when I have a sugar craving, which is okay I guess; other than the fact that they're loaded with sugar! Oh well...

S said...

Okay - I know it's weird, but I'm not a big chocolate fan. (not even while I was pregnant!) I do have a weakness for Twizzlers, Skittles, Jelly Bellys (sour), and Ice Cream!

Karen said...

Yes, Vick, the Peanut Nut Roll, I think! Mmm... but I've never been a marshmallow fan, except for S'mores.

Jenny, I LOVE LOVE LOVE dark chocolate!

Shyla said...

ok, pardon me as I wipe the saliva off of my husband's laptop!! Twix has always been on my mediocre list until the last month and a half and I WANT ONE EVERYDAY!!! Lucky for me I have a husband with willpower! LOL
I am a salty girl -cheese and crackers anyday - but after that need has been met - BRING ON THE SWEETS!! Swedish fish, any kind of berry like "jubejube", i could do away with gummy bears at this point in my life however, and jelly beans.
LOVE snickers, o'henry bars (maybe canadian?), hershey bars, REESES PB CUPS!!!! and peanut mms!! I HATE 3 musketeers (what were they thinking??) and I am embarassed to say that I have never had a payday - the wrapper didn't entice me! :)
ok, now i am struggling and it's only 9am...doees chocolate bring on babies?? I'll let you know! :)

Jenny said...

Karen, if you love dark chocolate, you definitely need to have a post-baby celebration with that candy bar from Target. They only carry them up by the register, and they have a black & gold wrapper. I think they cost $1.59 or something; worth every penny!!!

Katie said...

Now I'm salivating too! And I'm watching what I eat (and our budget) so no sweets for me lately. I have to defend Rolos and say that it's a pretty soft caramel. Not as soft as Carmelo, but it doesn't get stuck in your teeth. Maybe you had an expired one. :)

I LOVE Twix, Reece's PB cups, and most chocolate, I guess. I love oreos, in milk until they're SOGGY!

I prefer milk chocolate over dark, even though dark is healthier for you. Jenny, why can't you have it while you're prego? Unless you're trying to stay away from ALL caffine I guess. Everything in moderation, I say. ESPECIALLY chocolate while you're prego! (I had to be more careful of the caffine after Luke was born because, since I nursed, sometimes he wouldn't sleep well if I had a lot of chocolate. :)

Jenny said...

Katie, I still eat chocolate :-) and drink the occasional coffee, but...that expresso bar is a little condensed! I am sure it has a boatload of caffiene, and this little person likes to kick HARD when I have too much!!!

pamela s said...

Bring on the Reses's PB cups! I love that combination - especially crushed up & in ice cream - yum yum! I love any combo of chocolate & nuts. Yum!