Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Breakfast Cereal

I love cereal. I always have. My tastes have changed a lot as I get older, though. When I was a kid, I LOVED any and all sugar cereals...Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cocoa Krispies, you know them! I think I loved them because my mom never bought them. Instead, we had Shredded Wheat (no, not the little frosted kind...the big, plain logs), Corn Flakes, Cheerios, and Puffed Rice. For a time, we were even made to sprinkle a teaspoon of wheat germ on our cereal. ('scuse me... little gag there) And I'm sure I don't need to tell you that we did NOT add sugar to it. Now, I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. My very favorite cereal of all time is Cracklin' Oat Bran (too bad it's $4.29 for a tiny box!). Man, that so good! I also love Life Cereal and Quaker Oat Squares. But this week I bought a new kind of cereal, and I really like it, too. It's Special K Fruit & Yogurt. Little cruchy fruit clusters and yogurt bites, combined with Special K flakes--my favorite flake, if I had to choose one. Mmm. Anyway, what a silly post, huh? Can't wait til breakfast time...

3 comments:

Shyla said...

ditto to your post...although,...we never did the wheat germ thing..BLAH!! You poor thing! I still remember you having to choke down shaklee vitamins at school! :)My dad was the cereal nazi!! Same ones that you mentioned - BUT!!! My mom, in a weak moment, unveiled to us Frosted Flakes one day when my dad left for work and we were thrown into a talespin of sugary bliss!! Enter lucky charms, and cocoa puffs! :)
But, I must say, although I can enjoy a bowl of lucky charms on occasion ( A VERY VERY SPECIAL OCCASION if Nate has any say in it...) My tastes have matured as well, and morphed even during pregnancy.
I started of with Kashi Crunchy Cereal (YUM!!) then onto Frosted Mini wheats...then for months it was Life cereal...and when i was CRAVING Lucky charms I asked Nate if he could pick a box up on his way home...he brought home Honey nut Cheerios instead...I can see where the confusion set in since they sound similar in name and the boxes look identical (!@#$%^&*) but, now I am hooked on Honey nut cheerios! :)
Who knew I could write such a long response to a cereal post? get it? POst cereal?? Ok, i am leaving now! I am retarded!
Happy Munching!
Shy

christina said...

yup! you're pregnant! both of you are bringing back so many craving memories. but my thing was slurpees. couldn't get enough of those things.

we really weren't cereal kids. my gramma kept a steady stock of cap'n crunch with crunch berries for the times we spent the night. but her waffles were so much better--from scratch. cinamon rolls though. WOO! those things hit the spot. we would fight over the middle ones (b/c they were gooey). plain cheerios with ONE scoop of sugar was allowed. if my mom wasn't paying attention, nicole would pour a cup of sugar on hers. and rice krispies. but my mom always made us cut fruit into our cereal. mostly bananas. she tried so hard to get us to eat oatmeal. i would only eat the brown sugar kind though. now i love the stuff.

unfortunately, i can't take nathan down the cereal isle. he's a cereal freak, and he loves every sugary kind on the market.

store brand is my thing now. tastes just fine if you get the right thing. for some though, there's just no substitute.

i think i need to eat lunch. you girls are making me hungry.

pamela s said...

Hi Karen,
This Pam (Lewis) Smith. Don't know if you remember me from NBBC or not.
Although not pregnant, I'm a total cereal freak. If I wasn't married, I know I would have a bowl for dinner every night. Some people need coffee in the morning, just give me my cereal and I'm a happy girl. I love the sugary stuff, but occasionally I cross over to the healthy. You should see our pantry. My side is Resee's Puffs, Cocoa Krispies, Oreo O's & Geoff's side is healthy clusters, oats, fruity stuff.