Friday, September 09, 2005

Kids


Oh, to be a kid again! I have often thought it, but never so much as when I became a nanny. (No, this is not MY kid; it's my beautiful new nephew, Malachi.)

Wade, who's a year and a half, eats like a horse and takes a 3-hour nap nearly every day. Man! What a life! Wake up, eat, play, snack, sleep, wake up, play, snack, play, eat, sleep! Does it get any better?

But we've all got it backwards. When you're a kid, you don't realize what you've got. Wade loves everything about his life except the sleeping parts. At this time in my life, I'm willing to sacrifice most things in my life to GET more sleeping parts!

But he'll discover in--oh, about 18 years--that life really was grand when he had naptime. But by then you're much too busy to fit in a nap. Bummer.
I guess then you just accept the fact that life is chaotic and hectic, and you probably develop your own little groove for doing everything you need to do. Then, just as you get into your routine, you're too old and tired to do any of it anymore! Then, you HAVE to take naps just to get past the sheer exhaustion of living day-to-day!
This is getting just a little depressing! If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, somebody please set me straight! (Grandma...you out there?)

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hi karen! I stumbled upon your blog through Shyla's . . . And it's great! I haven't been in the blogging world for too long, but I love it too. I've gotten over the initial addiction though. I had to comment on this particular article, b/c isn't this the truth! Fortunately, Luke is a pretty good nap-taker and a good sleeper at night, but it was the single biggest adjustment to life as a mommy (sleep deprivation, I mean). I can't believe Luke is already 14 months. I have a toddler. Wow. I know I saw you at Janelle's wedding, but didn't get to talk to you, so wanted to say hi now. Hi to Nate. :)