Monday, September 12, 2005

Clearance!

I am an avid clearance shopper. I know exactly where all the clearance and sale shelves/racks are in almost every store in Michigan. I don't know what it is about clearance shopping. Maybe I can't resist those brightly colored clearance tags. Maybe the huge signs bearing the word "SALE" possess some unexplainable magnetism. I don't know. I just know I like it.

This weekend the thrift store had a bag sale. I paid just 2 dollars for a brown grocery bag and filled it to the gills with clothing, music, videos, and books, with each single item amounting to about ten cents each. That was really fun.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a steamer--a great one from Westinghouse that has a built in masher (think potatoes). It was originally 50 bucks. I got it for $6.49.

I do have to be careful, though. If I'm not, I may end up purchasing things just because they're clearanced, and not using them. That rarely happens, though. Generally, I think through each purchase carefully, asking, "Can I use this? Do I need it? Would I consider buying this anyway? Could I give it as a gift? (an especially good one)

It's a great alternative to paying retail prices for things. I often end up finding really nice, quality items and feeling rather proud of myself for getting such "steals" on them.

1 comment:

beck said...

Hey...I LOVE clearance too!!!! As far as thrift shops...they don't have them here!!! I have been going through withdrawl!!!!!!!