Friday, October 31, 2014

On Overtraining

I could just kick myself.

I'm about halfway through my third book on running, and learning SO MUCH.

I've also read this one, and this one.

I'm learning that as a beginner, I don't need to focus on speed just yet, but on laying a good foundation of consistent, slowly-increasing mileage.  

That's okay with me.  Speedwork sounds scary.
Plus, I don't feel the need to win any races at this point.

We got the treadmill, and I was glad that I could now increase my runs from 3 days/week to 4 or 5.  I planned to ignore my pace and focus instead on running X number of minutes or maybe miles.  Up til then, I'd been averaging 15 miles or so per week.

So the first week, I ran 5 times, for a total of 21-ish miles.
HELLO.  

Every runner knows it's unwise to increase any of your numbers (distance/pace) by more than 10% per week.

I'm no math whiz, but a 6-mile increase in one week was stupid.  Just plain stupid.

And I began to feel a twinge-y discomfort in my right foot, near the left side of the ball.

I took a few days off... Monday-Thursday. 

By Friday I was so antsy to run that I pushed it too hard again and did 8 miles, the most I've done yet.
I was so excited!  

I've done a few shorter, easier runs since then, but it's official:  I am having foot pain. 
I'm gonna have to take a break, much as I don't want to.

PLUS, on my last two runs, my left calf keeps trying to seize up on me.  Maybe I've altered my gait slightly, to compensate for my right foot.  I don't know.  

All I know is I want to avoid a serious injury!  I'm concerned about losing the momentum I've gained.
(And gaining the weight I've lost!)

Any advice from runners out there?  Does this sound like a stress fracture???

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.