Friday, November 30, 2012

It was a happy, happy Friday.

Following an inconclusive and frustrating doctor appointment yesterday, this text from my dad:
"God is not on vacation this week."

It's true, it's true!

I'm terrible about transferring my own stress and aggravation onto my poor kids.
A low-key day was in order!

We stayed out of the schoolroom and the textbooks and the worktexts.

Olivia worked on her Kids4Truth book for our church's Wednesday night Bible club.  She filled in the verse blanks and I was blessed. 
"...He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness."  Psalm 107:9

We snuggled on the couch and I taught her about the fun Japanese poetry form, haiku.  We giggled at the funny poems as we clapped through the syllables and guessed the riddles.  She dove right in and wrote a couple of her own.

I am white and black.
I eat grass and I say moooo.
Uh-oh!  What am I?
                                                           ~Olivia Adams

She played several math games online, now dragging slices of pizza for fraction practice, now "coloring" pictures to correspond with correct answers.  Why are kids so adaptable and resilient and I am decidedly... not?

We started a new book, enjoyed a leisurely lunch, finished a homemade coloring book for a grandma having a birthday soon (SHH!),  listened to lots of great Christmas music throughout all of it.

Tonight, we're enjoying dinner brought to us by a compassionate friend who stuck around for a visit.  So grateful.

After that, we'll go downtown to our local library's tree lighting, where we'll sing Christmas carols and enjoy cookies & cocoa.  Delightful!

Topping it all off:  movie night with the besties.
Yes, they sat like this the whole time.

I needed a day like this.  We all did!  What a novelty to enter the weekend feeling refreshed and relaxed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a FANTASTIC day, Karen! So glad to hear that I'm not the only one who transfers my frustrations to my kiddos. God is so good and gracious to show you that in the moment and give you the wisdom and flexibility to have an informal school day. My kids seem to learn so much more when we do informal days of schooling and not our regular stuff. Something about their laidback attitudes during those flexible days makes their brains more open to accepting new information somehow.

Sounds like you should institute this every Friday! And I might just follow suit! :)