Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lifelong Student

Nothing I've experienced has provided more intense sanctification opportunities than parenting.

I once heard someone quip, "I finally got to the point where I had parenting all figured out.  But then?  Then I had kids."
So much responsibility falls on our shoulders as their protector, provider, example, comforter, disciplinarian, and teacher.

Thankfully, the Lord is an infinitely more patient teacher than I.
* * *
"Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths.  Lead me in your truths and teach me."
Psalm 25:4-5
* * *

The most effective teachers are those who have mastered their subjects themselves.  I find myself floundering and frustrated again, because I can not seem to "get" those things which I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to teach:  kindness, self-control, happy obedience, true brokenness over sin.  
* * *
"Teach me your way, O LORD, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name."
Psalm 86:11
* * *
How essential it is for me to carve out one-on-one tutoring time with my Teacher, and then guard it fiercely, soaking up as much as I can. 
 * * *
"Make me know the way I should go... Teach me to do your will."
Psalm 143:8b, 10
* * *
And He is the best of Teachers!  He craves the one-on-one time more than I do.  He is infinitely patient, exceedingly merciful, "righteous in all His ways and kind in all His works."  (Psalm 145:17)

As both student and teacher, I can cling to His promise:

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." 
Psalm 32:8

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Oh, boy, do I cling to that promise too. Being a mom who is enough and does enough is not something I could do alone!