Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Holy, Mighty, Worthy!"

Our church choir recently sang this doctrinally rich hymn, and I can't get it out of my head! The lyrics are provided below, with my favorite lines and phrases emphasized.
"Holy, holy, holy!" Seraph choirs extol Thee.
Bending wings, they humbly sing of Thy lofty majesty.
Thou alone art holy! who on earth is like Thee?
Grant that we, like Thee, may be holy, holy, holy.

"Mighty, mighty, mighty!" Sun and stars declare Thee.
All creation joins to sing of Thy pow'r and deity.
Thou alone art mighty! Naught was made without Thee.
Grant that we Thy pow'r may see. Mighty, mighty,
mighty.

"Worthy, worthy, worthy!" Saints in heav'n exalt Thee.
Lamb, once slain, now raised to reign: Savior, Judge, and
conq'ring King!
Thou alone art worthy! All was made to please
Thee
!
Grant that we in heav'n may sing, "Worthy, worthy, worthy!"

"Glory, glory, glory!" We, Thy church, adore Thee.
Called by grace to bring Thee praise, trophies of Thy pow'r to
save
!
None shall share Thy glory! All shall bow before Thee.
Father, Son, and Spirit one! "Glory, glory, glory!"

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I've never heard this hymn before; as I read it I kept trying to making it fit the tune for "Holy, Holy, Holy" in my head :-)
Excellent hymn, I agree!