Sunday, November 08, 2009

Just the Cutest Little Labor of Love, EVER!

Kathy's birthday is this week. You know, Kathy. The woman who's teaching me to sew? Right, her.

Anyway, I came across this recipe for the sweetest little button cookies, and I used Kathy's birthday as my excuse to make them. Believe you me, I shan't make them again. Talk about labor-intensive! Kathy, if you're reading this, I love ya. And you are totally worth it. And the end result is darling.
First, make your cookie dough. This particular recipe is a maple-flavored variety of sugar cookie.
It helps to have an assistant. She looks cuter in my apron than I do. Little stinker.




She only helps so she can lick the beaters.











After you've rolled and cut your cookie dough, use another, smaller cutter to cut part way into the cookie. Then, use a straw to poke buttonholes. Take my advice and make the hole about one-and-a-half times larger than the straw hole is.



The cookies, baked juuuuust until done. Golden-brown proved to be too done, in fact. But then, I don't like my cookies crispy.




Use Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel to lace through the buttons. This was the trickiest part; I didn't make my buttonholes big enough, so I had to dig at them with a toothpick before lacing. This is why a soft cookie is necessary!


The finished product, packaged and ready for delivery! They're soft, simple, and not terribly sweet--perfect with hot cocoa, which, incidentally, was the other half of Kathy's gift!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Such a cute cookie. Never heard of it, but the time you spent making them makes it a gift worth giving. So happy you have a little helper, isn't it the best.

You make me want to start Christmas cookie baking.

Hey are you on FB?

Unknown said...

Those are adorable! What a perfect gift for your sewing mentor!