Saturday, October 11, 2008

Salsa-Making 101

Nate & I made salsa the other night--what fun! I searched for a recipe that sounded good, but I ended up just winging it. Not recommended, usually, but salsa is definitely an "anything goes" sort of food. We started by halving some tomatoes & jalapenos and roasting them. That makes the skins slide right off, easy-peasy! The tomatoes are then mushy--perfect for salsa.
In the meantime, we minced some garlic,
...and chopped up green & yellow peppers, onions, some fresh cilantro (vvvvery pungent!), and squeezed the life out of a lime.
Mix everything together in a big pot, and add a little cider vinegar, some chili powder, cayenne, red pepper flakes. And salt. And a little lime zest. For the life of him, Nate couldn't understand that one. :) Simmer until the veggies are crisp-tender.
We ended up using only one jalapeno, and WOW!--it is HOT!
But that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

We love home made salsa, can't get cilantro here :-( Salsa isn't salsa with it if you ask me. (Sounds so good)

Stacey

Jenny said...

I love making salsa, I hope I get the chance this year. We like it best with the veggies all raw, more like pico de gallo. The first time I made salsa on my own it was so hot I had to go buy 5 more pounds of tomatoes to make it edible. Needless to say, I had a lot of salsa!!! Yours looks yummy!