Friday, October 17, 2008

Frugal Feasting

I sit here, having just enjoyed a lunch of mac-n-cheese with Livvie. And also a bit of chicken & rice from the other night. And I was thinking... I enjoy elaborate meals and newfangled recipes as much as the next guy. But there are some things that just really hit the spot for me, and they're nothing fancy!
  • As stated earlier, a hot pan of mac-n-cheese once in awhile tastes so good to me! With plenty of pepper. I don't like it for leftovers, though.
  • Bean & Bacon soup. Yes, in a can! Something about that smoky flavor plus half a sleeve of saltines... okay, not that many saltines...
  • A big green salad. The more salad fixin's, the better, but I like plain, simple salads, too. Bleu cheese dressing & croutons with a sprinkling of cheese, and I'm happy!
  • Cold cut sandwiches. Any sandwiches, really! PB&J, P&P, PB& banana... mmm! Not bologna, though. Ick! Yesterday I made a shaved turkey sandwich, with extra sharp cheddar, tomatoes, & onions on foccaccia bread. Threw it in my toaster oven & toasted that baby to ooey gooey perfection.
  • Bean & rice burritos. Stir it all together with some taco seasoning, and pile it high on a warm corn tortilla with cheese.
  • Grilled cheese & tomato soup. Very cozy.
  • And like most people, I can eat pizza any time. My favorite is Pizza Hut's stuffed crust. I really think I could eat it every day.

Well, I'm off to make myself a PB& banana sandwich. What simple things do you like to eat?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

plain ol' baked potatoes hit the spot for me - with sour cream, salt & pepper. YUM. (but not TOO often!)

This summer I couldn't get enough of fresh green beans or fresh steamed broccoli with minced garlic stirred in. Mmm...fresh veggies. Now I'm enjoying lots of varieties of squash!

Sara said...

Salsa! Strange that this was your post today, because I was JUST thinking... "I could eat salsa ALL the time!" I LOVE it. The fresh kind you buy near the deli at supermarkets or homeade (I havent tried that, but you've recently inspired me to). And in desperation, even a can of mexican rotel works well as salsa. I know you share this love with me. I'm a mexi at heart (well, at least at STOMACH).
And spinach lately! Weird I know, but frozen spinach warmed with a little salt, or even mixed in with some ground beef and seasoned. Yum.

christina said...

classic grilled cheese.... you can't miss with that one! i used to microwave a piece of cheese onto a bagel when i was younger. haven't done that in a while. cheese and crackers. garlic butter noodles... with those big old egg noodles. all my favorite simple things sound so unhealthy when i type them out! haha!