Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Gory details, as promised.

Okay, here's how it went down.

Thursday evening & all day Friday: regular contractions, though very mild, every 10-12 minutes or so. Nothing that hampered my activity at all, just made me think that something was happening!

Saturday: I wake up determined to move this baby on out! Nate & I walk about 1.5 miles in the morning, and my mom & I walk roughly 3 miles in the afternoon. By 3, the contractions are coming roughly 6-8 minutes apart and are more noticeable. We decide to attend a family get-together that evening and leave at 6 p.m.

8 p.m.: Contractions are coming every 5 minutes or so and are making me uncomfortable enough that I'm no longer enjoying myself. We decide to leave.

9:15 p.m.: Called Dr. Johnston, who instructs us to head to the hospital. I am 3-4 cm. We're admitted.

midnight: Dilated to 5 cm. Resident (whom we did NOT like!) advises starting pitocin. I tell her to get lost! :) Not really, but I did firmly refuse.

3 a.m.: Still 5 cm. Resident breaks my water, without an epidural. Didn't care for that. Shortly thereafter, I get the epidural--BLESS YOU, DOCTOR!

7:30 a.m.: STILL 5 cm, and the contractions have spaced out some. Not happy. Dr. Johnston urges me to allow pitocin. I tearfully agree.

9:30 a.m.: I fear I shall die for the pressure "down there." I tell Nate to call someone; I threaten to push, whether they consent or not!

10 a.m.: I am 10 cm. Dr. Johnston arrives.

10:05: I start pushing.

10:27 a.m.: Happy Birth Day, Ellia Joy!

Okay, so it wasn't all that gory after all. :) But that's Ellia's story!

6 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! I certainly cannot relate, having had a c-section at 32 weeks, with little choice in any decisions, but I sympathize with you. Bless your heart for remaining strong! I'm anxious to hear how Livvie is adjusting to her baby sister. Will there be any nicknames for Ellia. Josh and I had chosen either Ava or Ellie for our first (before we knew it was a boy, of course). Ellia is adorable-have not heard that before.

Erin Neiner said...

CONGRATS!!!!!! What fun...2 girls!! Love her name, and what a special fathers day present!!!!! :)

ruth said...

Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see pictures!

ruth said...

Woops, should have scrolled down a bit further. Cute pictures! :)

Harms said...

She is such a doll!! How is Livvie adjusting?

Tricia said...

Congratulations! She is adorable.