Friday, June 27, 2008

An "exciting" week

We've had a very eventful week, to say the least. It's after 11 p.m., and I'm on my way to bed, so I'll be brief.

Tuesday night: I began hemorrhaging, BIG TIME. Never seen so much blood in real life, and certainly not my own. My OB-GYN sent us to the ER, where we spent the entire night. Seriously. 10 p.m.-4 a.m. Like I don't spend enough nighttime hours awake. Anyhow, 3 ultrasounds and 2 pelvic exams later, it was determined that I have "retained product." Of which sort no one is sure. The problem arises if it happens to be placental matter. I was sent home with medication to make my muscles cramp, in the hopes of expelling whatever it is in the following 24 hours.

Wednesday: Let me tell you, Wednesday was a day the likes of which I would not wish on anyone. 102.4 fever, every muscle aching, exhausted of course, and to top it off... I think I've got a couple blocked milk ducts. (Trust me, if I weren't sure that 99% of my readers are female, I'd spare these details. :) I literally spent the entire day passed out on the couch. Thankfully, Celeste kept Olivia til lunchtime, and then she napped til about 3:30. I think. And Ellia slept all day, too.

24 hours later: I had a follow-up with my OB-GYN, who repeated aforementioned examinations. Retained product remains. While she's somewhat concerned about this, she acknowledged that I AM less than 2 weeks out, after all. I'm to go back in 2 weeks. If the substance is still there, I will take another medication. If it's still there at my 6 week checkup, then we'll have to talk about a D&C. Ick. I'm hoping it'll pass on its own in the next 2 weeks. Pray with me about that, would you? Also, those milk ducts have gone from blocked to infected. I'm wearing the distinct scent of cabbage. Pleasant, isn't it?


On the bright side, Ellia is doing great. She seems to have passed through the sleep-all-the-time stage, and has now moved into the hold-me-all-the-time stage. Not sure which one is better.
In addition, my fingernails are longer than they've ever been, and Olivia went "big potty" on her potty seat today.
That's all. I'm going to bed.

7 comments:

Shyla said...

Oh my!! I will certainly be praying for you. As if having a new little one isn't exhausting enough!! The Lord is not surprised and will give you indescribable strength to function during the day! I feel like saying.."let me know what i can do..." but that is the disadvantage i have to living 10 hrs. away! you should move closer :)

Becky Larson said...

Hi!! I finally have a chance to check out your blog...and I love it! I wanted to say hi, and to tell you that I will be praying for you. I am sure that you must be in a great amount of pain, and it must be hard to get through the day while taking care of the little ones. They are both so beautiful! You and Nate must be so proud. I love the name "Ellia"...we named our newborn "Ellie." She was born on May 29th...and we also have a 15 month old named Aubrey, who is on the go 24/7. Our thoughts and prayers are with you...and congrats to both of you!!!

christina said...

holy cow..... having been on the receiving end of mastitis i feel your pain. can you get antibiotics for it? oh, i hope you can get through that. i know the misery it can bring. i never used cabbage, but i had a sock full of rice i was constantly microwaving. now, having never been on the receiving end of anything "retained" all i can say is, oh, girl i'm prayin'.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sister!!
I feel so bad for you and all those "complications".
I am here reading your blogs and cringing!!
But thanks for preparing me!! haha
No one has put it in as much detail as you have. And not even seeing Harmony go through it has prepared me like this!!
But thank you for sending me pictures of Ellia!! The professional ones are so adorable and she is so dark-headed!! But then again, I guess she gets that from you! :)
I will be praying for you!!

And my little Gabby is now kicking harder than ever and I can see her move through my tummy!! WOW!

I love you lots and I will talk to you later!!

Heather said...

WOW!!! Karen I am praying for you!! I had mastitis many times with Victoria and remember the HORRIBLE pain it caused and my new found friend...cabbage!! It is amazing what that stuff can do....

I hope this week is much better for you and your family!!! Get as much rest as possible!!!

Sara said...

Oh Karen, I am so sorry. I have never heard of such a thing. Will be praying--keep us posted, and kiss those beautiful girls for me!

Jenny said...

I hope to hear good news of you feeling better soon - I was praying for you last night during my sleepless hours!!