Saturday, May 05, 2007

Olivia's Diagnosis

Well, apparently the little sweetie has an umbilical hernia. The doc says they're quite common and nothing to worry about. Apparently, the umbilical ring closes shortly after birth, being no longer necessary. Then, the abdominal muscles grow toward one another and ultimately fuse together. But when closure is incomplete, abdominal pressure (think hard crying or going #2)can create an umbilical hernia--it can be layers of skin, the umbilical ring, or sometimes even portions of bowel (yuck.). In some cases the hernia doesn't resolve until age 5! So we don't have anything to worry about. Unless...

Unless the hernia becomes incarcerated (inability to be squished down) or strangulated (blood flow is cut off by muscles that are too tight) or it ruptures. Yikes. But we aren't going to worry about that!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I had never heard of that before... So thankful that it is not anything too serious. Kudos to Mommy for having it checked out!

Unknown said...

I have heard of mommies getting that (in fact I have a prego friend who has one) but not little ones. What do you have to do to treat it? Is she in any pain? Let's pray it resolves itself before age 5! The big question is, will she still be able to wear bikinis?!?

Karen said...

You don't do anything to treat it--if it doesn't resolve itself, or if it becomes strangulatedor ruptures, then surgery is required. She isn't in any pain, thankfully. And yes, she will wear her bikini!

Abby said...

Awww - poor little girl! I'll definitely keep her in my prayers. It's more common than one thinks - we just don't hear about it much since it hasn't happened to any of us yet! Praying for Olivia :-)

Carrie said...

Karen, my little girl had one of those--hers popped out when she was about 2 months old and then fixed itself by the time she was 5-6 months. It's funny; both of my kids have had hernias. My son's was an inguinal hernia which had to be surgically fixed when he was 10 weeks. Thankfully the umbilical one resolved on its own. :) I hope Livvie's will do the same!

BTW, I don't know if I've commented here before--I don't actually know you, but I think I was in the same class as your husband at NBBC. (I graduated in 99.) I enjoy checking your blog now and then. Olivia is so adorable!