Friday, September 15, 2006

My Baby Story

Hi everyone! I got some pretty good sleep last night and am feeling really good, so I thought I'd post my story. Here it is:

Saturday, September 9th
10:00 p.m. Started having contractions, took a bath and relaxed, watching TV and chatting with Nate. They soon became regular--about 10-12 minutes apart. I went to bed at 12:30.

Sunday, September 10th
1:30 a.m. By now the contractions (8-10 minutes apart) are keeping me awake--not horrible, but pretty uncomfortable. Nate's still sleeping.
3:00 a.m. Nate is awake with me now, watching the clock, informing me how far apart each contraction is from the last. He watches for an hour--by 4 a.m. they're coming 5-7 minutes apart and are getting more painful.
6 a.m. Called my doctor--contractions are under 5 minutes apart. We head to the hospital, where I was found to be 2-3 centimeters dilated. We walked around the hospital for awhile.
9:30 a.m. I am at 3-4 cm now, apparently having a baby today! Checked into our room. In the next couple hours I walked around the room and took a warm shower, watched TV, and called family.
1:30 a.m. Now I'm 6 cm and really in pain. I have to say the breathing really helped! I just kept telling myself DON'T lose it! DON'T lose it! (Thanks, Shannon!) :) Even though the pain was still manageable, I knew it wouldn't be for long. Since I knew it might be awhile, I asked for an epidural. Surprisingly, it was in place by 2:00! YAY!
4 p.m. Hmm. No progress. Silly epidural! So they broke my water, and the contractions IMMEDIATELY got much more intense, so much so that I had to have an epidural booster.
8:30 p.m. TIME TO PUSH! YAY! Wow, what an ordeal, though. I didn't expect to do it in 10 minutes, but I certainly hoped it wouldn't be this long or this painful. I had decided not to get one more epidural booster, so that I could feel the urge to push. Next time I will get that booster!
10:56 p.m. I am holding my beautiful daughter. :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that went relatively quickly for you! Praise the Lord! Aren't epidurals wonderful?!?

Vicki said...

Ok. Goosebumps. :) Simply amazing.

Reads said...

I must admit I was clicking the epidural button as often as I could! I can't imagine what it would have been without it!

the johnson crew said...

wow karen, i was realy moved by your birthing story...you are such a good writer. it makes me want to have a baby tomorrow!