Friday, August 11, 2006

The Grand Tour

Last night we took a tour of the Women's Hospital Birth Center at the U of M. I started out crabby; our name mysteriously wasn't on the list, even though we had registered. But luckily, someone didn't show.

Nate didn't see the need at first to have a tour, but I wanted to go, so he agreed. We both were so glad we did it. It helped to make it more real to us... that this is only a month away, maybe less! We saw the triage desk and rooms, the NICU, nursery, and a couple labor & delivery rooms. Our tour guide was really funny--she was fun to listen to and watch. She was very thorough; she explained what everything in the room was for and took questions.


Anyway, I feel a little more ready and a little less apprehensive. It seems like a small thing, but actually seeing the place where our big event will happen takes some of the mystery and guessing out of it. That's a good thing.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I am so excited for you Karen! I can't wait to read your birth story and see pictures of your little baby girl!!!

S said...

I agree that the tours are so beneficial so you know where to go when the time arrives! It won't be long now before you'll get to meet little Olivia, and it's all worth it!

Shyla said...

i was very glad to be able to go to the hospital for the tour so atleast even though the birthing experience would be a surprise, atleast i would know where i was going!! hang in there!!

Jocelyn Pagano said...

That is great they offer tours. It seems it would make things a lot more comfortable.

pamela s said...

I can't believe your timer is on the last pic! Time flies! Well probably faster for me than you. :) Do anything you can to get rid of your apprehension! I know whenever my time comes, I'll be incredibly nervous. You seem so laid back - I'll have to take notes. :)

Karen said...

Yep, I want to take the surprise out of as many things as possible!

I know, Pam! That timer is a startling reminder each time I see it! It's gone SO quickly for me. My laid-back-ness is just due to such an uncomplicated, comfortable pregnancy, for which I'm eternally grateful!