Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's official... I have issues!

One of the requirements I have to meet before the adoption agency can give me my birth mother's identifying information (address, last name, phone number...) is that I must receive an hour of counseling. Well, yesterday I attended my very first counseling session. I even sat on a couch! :)

Anyway, when I found out that I had to get counseling, my reaction was nothing less than a rolling of the eyes. I think I'm a fairly stable, well-adjusted person, and my first thought was "O great. How much money will I have to waste on this!??"

So I figured as long as I had to do it, I may as well try to find a Christian counselor (he/she had to be state certified, so my pastor and my husband were out of the question.). I called several Baptist churches in our area and found a really nice, Christian man who spoke with me yesterday. And he charged me only $45. I definitely would have been just fine without the session, but at least the money wasn't spent on godless psychobabble!

Anyway! According to Mr. Das, I am more than ready to go ahead in the process! And he plans to write a very nice letter to Gladney (adoption agency) saying so. I suppose it was $45 well-spent. Ya do what ya gotta do sometimes, right?

6 comments:

Vicki said...

So what are the issues? ;) You must be so excited to inch ever closer to meeting your birth mom.

christina said...

you have clearance, clarence.
that's cool. i have to say though, being prego would have made me so giddy about that. i would have probably laughed the whole time.
i'm glad you are stable. and btw, very creative to call churches. i wouldn't have thought that any "christian counsellor" would count....that's great.

Karen said...

Wouldn't you like to know my issues, brat!! :) Actually, Gladney just wanted the counselor to discuss adjustment and expectation topics with me. Like, do I foresee any troublespots, considering our differences? What kind of relationship do I expect to have with her? We also discussed my perceptions about adoption as I was growing up, things like that. Your basic stuff I've already thought through. :)

Kelli said...

Yeah, one step closer. I was just thinking about that the other day and wanted to ask you how that was going. Glad you were able to find a good Christian Counsler; who knows what a secular psychologist may have told you!

carissa said...

Better you than me sister!! He would surely have found problems with me!! I sometimes think I need a counselor, but then realize those are the times I haven't spent time with God in prayer and reading His Word. Oh, how refreshing it is to spend time with HIM!!

Kelly Glupker said...

I am so excited for you and glad to hear that things are headed in the right direction. Keep us posted!