Saturday, September 10, 2005

Rock vs. Hard Place

I'm in a straight betwixt two, and I don't know what to do! (The rhyme was purely coincidental; I rolled my OWN eyes--feel free to do likewise.) I have an opportunity to take a writing and publishing course through a very reputable institute, but it's 600 bucks! [FYI--The Institute for Children's Literature is designed to help students hone their skills and eventually produce a work that is worthy of submission to a publisher.]
Now, I have always LOVED to write, and I have casually entertained the idea of writing a children's or adolescents' book. But I have never been passionate about it. I can not see myself as a full-time writer, either. I think it'd be kind of cool to write a children's book about being adopted, given my own experience. I am sure that I would enjoy the challenging course work and would benefit from it. But 600 big ones...
Nate thinks I should do it, and I'd like to. I just don't know if I should. Any feedback?
P.S. I have to respond by the 14th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very glad you decided to go for it.
Sometimes merely investing in something creates that passion you say you lack. I read something last week that I cannot get out of my head. I will paraphrase, but it went like this ".....consider spending 1 hour per day, 6 days a week, on something that you truly want to complete, correct or perfect. Do the math and then consider how much can change in 352 hours!!!" Something for you to chew on.
Was GREAT to talk to you last evening!!!